The biological design of women is such that it makes periods imperative, a phenomenon that continues till the woman has hit menopause. A menstrual cycle lasts around 28 days but it also varies depending on the individual and can last from 24 to 35 days. When menstruation first starts, it can take up to two years for the cycle to get regular. However, for some women, there is a considerable variation in time between the periods and the amount of bloodshed which is known as irregular periods. Also called oligomenorrhea, irregular periods can occur quite often due to several causes.
Types of Menstrual Disorders
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
- Amenorrhea: The absence of menstrual bleeding.
- Oligomenorrhea: Light or infrequent menstruation.
- Fibroids: Noncancerous uterine tumors.
- Premenstrual Syndrome(PMS): Physical and emotional discomfort prior to menstruation.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD): Severe physical and emotional discomfort prior to menstruation.
Causes of Menstrual Disorders
- Stress 0r Emotional Setbacks.
- Hormonal Imbalances.
- Birth Control Pills.
- Eating Disorders.
- Excessive weight gain or weight loss.
- Experiencing irregular periods during breastfeeding is common. Breastfeeding enables the body to produce hormones that help in the production of milk, thereby suppressing menstruation. This process wherein lactation suppresses the cycle is called Lactational Amenorrhea.
- Uterine Fibroids.
- Clotting disorders.
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) – cysts on the ovaries.
Symptoms of Menstrual Disorders
- Abnormal menstrual bleeding
- Pain or cramping
- Bloating or fullness in the abdomen
- Emotional distress
- Bloating or fullness in the abdomen
1. Raw Papaya
Papaya is touted as the best fruit when it comes to regulating periods. Stimulating menstruation is one of its many functions. So if someone misses periods, papaya is a sure-shot solution. The sweet tropical fruit not only helps with this but it also aids in promoting glowing skin. Raw papaya encourages contractions in the uterus, thereby inducing periods. The carotene that is found in papaya stimulates estrogen and hence periods get fairly regular. Raw papaya helps in increasing the blood flow during menstruation as it allows proper functioning of muscles in the uterus.
How Papaya help to regulate cycle?
- To reap maximum benefits out of papaya, eat it as in the form of morning breakfast.
- Consider the date when your period is supposed to happen and prior to that, start eating papayas.
- Cut the papaya into small blocks, and add a little yogurt on them if possible.
- Also, you can eat it as a snack in the evening till the time you get your periods.
- Irregular periods can also be treated by papaya juice.
The most common ingredient found in our kitchens is turmeric. Not only does it add flavor to the food and has beauty benefits, it can also act as a remedy to treat irregular periods. Moreover, it also gives respite from menstrual pain as it is an anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic agent. The hormones whose imbalance can cause irregularity in the menstrual cycle are balanced at best by turmeric only. As it turns out, turmeric is the most easily available home remedy to cure the problem of irregular periods. Does PMS take a toll on you every time periods are around the corner? Try turmeric.
How Turmeric help to regulate cycle?
- Before and during the period, take turmeric powder to both minimize PMS and stomach pain.
- Warm some milk and add ¼- ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder and add black pepper. Also, add any sweetener like honey to this. Stir properly and drink it daily at night.
- It has added benefits of fighting diseases like fever and the common cold, to name a few.
Ginger has been established as having pain-relieving powers by both Indian and Chinese Ayurvedic medicine on account of it being anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Most importantly, it is a strong emmenagogue (a substance that stimulates or increases menstrual flow) which also makes ginger a crucial food item so as to induce periods. If the flow is less, eating ginger can help since it increases the flow of menstrual blood and consequently the body to maintain its menstrual cycle. The efficacy of ginger in remedying women experiencing very high flow has also been proven by research.
How Ginger help to regulate cycle?
Take a ginger root and grate it. Put it in a bowl or a container and add some water to it. Warm it and add little sugar to it. Let it boil for around 5 minutes and then remove the root. Cool it slightly and then drink it daily. You can also take a fresh ginger and eat it with honey every day.
4. Flax seeds
Flax seeds work best for women with PCOS. Eating flax seeds mitigates the male hormone androgen which helps in reducing the problem of periods. They are rife with omega 3 fats and fiber which is what makes them efficient in regulating periods. Scientific studies have revealed that flax seeds contain lignans, natural compounds which ensure that hormonal levels do not go haywire.
How Flax Seed help to regulate cycle?
- Consume 1-2 tablespoons of flax daily.
- You can take them with half a glass of water or add them to your salad and vegetables.
- It’s important to be vigilant of how you consume flax seeds. If taken in a controlled way, they can help tackle irregular periods.
Raw carrots contain a unique fiber that helps in regulating hormones by keeping the toxins bound and then discarding them out of the body. As it is, carrots are extremely nutritious and it is these abundant nutrients that aid in maintaining the hormonal balance of the body.
How Carrots help to regulate cycle?
- You can eat it raw or with other ingredients like in a salad.
- Also, you can grind the carrot and drink its juice.
- Try eating it in between meals not with a meal.
6. Aloe Vera
Not only for beauty but aloe vera is also one of the ways to modulate the menstrual cycle. Stomach pain can also be lessened with the help of aloe vera. Moreover, acne and other skin problems that tag along with periods can be avoided with aloe vera. Thus, it is the most natural remedy for period irregularities.
How Aloe Vera help to regulate cycle?
Aloe Vera juice proves to be the best in balancing hormones and alkalizing the body, thus regulating periods. Add some honey in the juice for best results. Consume it in the morning before your breakfast.
Remember not to eat it during the periods. It has to be consumed prior to the period or even after.
The warming property of cinnamon is what makes it most suited for regulating periods. This warming effect helps to reduce the cramps and therefore, regularize and normalize your monthly menstrual cycle. Like ginger, it is anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic. Furthermore, the presence of hydroxy chalcone manages the levels of insulin in the body that again helps in curtailing irregular periods.
How Cinnamon help to regulate cycle?
Crush a cinnamon stick. Pour the powder in a container and add boiling water to it. Let it stay for 5-10 minutes and then, add a tea bag. Let it sit for 3-4 minutes. Add sugar or honey. Drinking this on a regular basis helps to get periods properly every month.
8. Bitter Gourd
As much as everyone hates bitter gourd, its benefits to the overall nutrition of the body cannot be understated. No matter how bitter it tastes, it is greatly beneficial to treat a lot of problems including irregular periods. It has the anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial property that is quite helpful when one is confronted with the problem of irregular periods. Moreover, women whose periods get irregular due to PCOS must eat bitter gourd. Not only will it aid in regulating periods but will also decrease the risk of diabetes, something which women with PCOS are prone to.
How Bitter gourd helps to regulate cycle?
Take a bitter gourd, chop it into half and then put the pieces into the mixer. Churn it to make it a juice. Now add a teaspoon of sugar into it and drink it.
Almonds contain nutrients and antioxidants like vitamins, proteins, manganese, and magnesium, crucial for regulating periods. The nutrients present in almonds also help in lessening the oxidative stress that in turn brings normalcy to the menstrual cycle.
How Almonds help to regulate cycle?
Munching on almonds on a frequent basis will also help you stabilize periods.
Parsley contains apiol which plays a critical role in regulating periods. It also makes the cycle more organized. Parsley, when boiled in water, is said to be an ideal emmenagogue in traditions. So, it is more than just a herb that is used to garnish our food with.
How Parsley help to regulate cycle?
Take some parsley and coriander leaves and put them into the juicer. Then pour the juice into a glass, add some sugar and drink it. Make sure you drink it daily to extract the maximum benefits out of it.