Liquid Diets can be basically of three types which can be explained as:
This diet involves replacing one or two meals of the day with liquid diets, such as fruit or vegetable smoothies, juices, soups, etc. This type of diet can have solid foods as well, but it must be noted that they are healthy and full of nutrition. The liquid diet must have essential macros, such as protein, fat, and carbohydrates, as well as micronutrients.
Detox Diets and Cleanses
This has been a very latest form of diet, and one can easily see the difference if follows the diet for once a week. This is one simple way of detoxifying the body by drinking only vegetable or fruit juices full of herbs so to get a refreshing change for the body.
Medically Prescribed Liquid Diets
This kind of a diet is purposefully not made for weight loss instead is a medically prescribed one for patients who have digestive problem, surgery or injury issues.
After understanding all about what exactly is a liquid diet, let us get on further to understand, how this diet helps us to lose weight.
Can liquid diets help you lose weight? But How!
Liquid Diets have currently grabbed the attention of many fitness trainers, dietician, and individuals, for it is easy and quick. It does not involve a lot of chart system, protein intakes or hard work, thus, in a busy life, it seems like the best solution for a quick weight loss. But it is important to understand, how exactly this diet works. Here are the following ways it works on our body:
Liquid diets are immensely good at detoxifying the body, as the diet involves juices, smoothes and intake like these, which are really rich in vitamins, fibers, and minerals. Also, such food has antioxidant properties which help in killing harmful oxygen radicals that may mutate our DNA. With a liquid diet, the digestive system, gland, and the digestive tract get cleansed. This directly helps in weight loss.
The diet involves low calories intake such as juices, smoothies, soups, etc, this then leads the body to absorb energy from the already stored glycogen and fat. This leads to weight loss.
The food that is consumed during the liquid diet is rich in nutrition, as juices or smoothies are capable of keeping them intact which otherwise are washed away in the normal cooking process due to a lot of washing, boiling and other methods. Thus, this diet provides food rich in nutrition and energy.
This kind of a diet is advisable for all the people who have a problem digesting food. Even doctors prescribe such diet to patients with digestion issues. The liquid diet, cleanses and detoxifies the digestive system, gland as well as gland, thus, making the functioning easy and refreshed. This automatically helps in weight loss.
- Soya/full-fat milk
- Almond milk
- Raw eggs
- Protein drinks
- Creamed Soups
- Flavored water
- Pregnant and lactating women should strictly avoid this kind of diet, for it can adversely affect the health of the child and the would-be mother as well. The body of the women gets weak in such a period; thus, she must avoid depending upon this diet.
- Adults, especially older adults must avoid it unless the doctor advises it in a special condition, such as digestive issue, surgery or anything else.
- The liquid diet is not something that you must follow for days; in fact, it must be followed only once a week.
- Children should not at all take up this diet, for they need a lot of energy due to the type of lifestyle they have.
These are some of the things that need to be taken care of while planning to take up a liquid diet.
Let’s discover what are benefits and drawback of taking up a liquid diet.
- This diet helps in sudden detoxification and cleansing of the body.
- Improves metabolism.
- Provides rest to the digestive system, and also cleans its track.
- Enhances skin quality.
- Useful for patients suffering from mouth cancer, gum cancer, and esophagus cancer.
- Reduces ulcer pain.
- Useful for the patients you have an injury or have undergone surgery of stomach or tonsils.
- Low immunity.
- Dizziness and headache.
- The craving of food may increase which may lead to overeating later.
- Leads to muscle loss and weak bones.
- Leads to irrational mood and heavy mood swings.
- Makes the body prone to cold and cough due to low immunity.
- Can become a cause of nausea.
Lastly, the liquid diet can be really tough as well as easy; it all depends on your body type. Thus, before taking any type of diet one must understand his / her body. Weight loss is not an easy task, and there are many quick ways of getting your body in shape, but that does not mean one must depend solely on the liquid diet due to peer pressure, this will, in fact, cause an adverse effect. Just stay calm and dwell with happiness to come in shape. All the best!