Olive Oil vs Coconut Oil – Nutritional Information
Let us first compare the nutrition profile of both coconut oil and olive oil:
|1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil||1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil|
|Total fat (g)||14||14|
|Saturated fat (g)||1||12|
What Does The Nutrition Chart Indicate?
Let’s have a look at the implications, which the above-mentioned chart is presenting:
- Going by calories, both olive oil and coconut oil offer the same amount of calorie.
- The difference is the value of saturated fat. 1 tbsp. of olive oil contains 1g of saturated fat, whereas coconut oil contains 12g of it. The primary component of saturated fat is lauric acid. Other than that, there is no other exception.
- According to the American Heart Association, the daily consumption of fat should be within 25 to 35% of the daily calorie intake and not more than 7% of that should be saturated fat. Coconut oil gives more saturated fat than the requirement of the body.
- Olive oil comprises of more good fats. Monounsaturated fats present in olive oil have more advantages for the body. Oleic acid, one of the monounsaturated fatty oils, aids in lowering blood pressure and preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- Olive oil also comprises of antioxidants. We all know the significance of antioxidants in warding off free radicals and protecting us against skin damage, cancer, and many other diseases.
Healthwise, olive oil look better on paper.
Comparison of the Benefits of Olive Oil vs Coconut Oil!
Let’s now compare the benefits of coconut oil vs olive oil for skin and health to get a clear idea:
Coconut Oil Benefits
Let’s have a look at the benefits of coconut oil:
- Coconut oil is beneficial in comforting dry skin. The skin on the face, hand, and feet can get amazing benefits from the moisturizing and calming effects of coconut oil.
- It can also be used as a replacement for shaving cream.
- Coconut also serves as a deep conditioner for hair. It is one of the best ways to moisturize dry and dull hair.
- Coconut oil can also be utilized as a makeup remover.
Olive Oil Benefits
Let’s now have a look at the benefits of olive oil:
- Olive oil, on the other hand, is more moisturizing than coconut oil.
- Curly and thick hair can also benefit from olive oil than coconut oil when it comes to moisturizing. For frizzy hair, olive oil is a nice after wash serum.
- Just like coconut oil, it also can be used as an alternative to shaving cream.
- Olive oil helps treat diaper rashes, little cuts, and wounds too.
We must keep in mind that at the end of the day, both are processed oils. Both the oils are high in calories. When the oil claims to be ‘healthy for the heart’, remember that it means to prevent the heart diseases to some limit. Also, you must avoid oily food if you are suffering from a disease. As of now, there is a fad of using both olive oil and coconut oil. Both the oils are considered best in their own unique ways. But it is important to understand that research is still going on to prove the claims. So, before using any oil in excess, take advice from your doctor and choose the oil that best suits your health.