When you think of having a light evening snack, you often think of a packet of fried chips or something along the lines of Lays and Kurkure. However, it is time to think of a healthier alternative, as we are fairly well-versed with the harmful effects of these snacks available to us in abundance. This is where snacks like fox nuts come to your rescue. Grown in the wetlands of Asian countries, they are also known as Phool makhana owing to their flowery appearance and lotus seeds.
Usually, people consume it during their fasts or even use it as an ingredient in Indian cuisines or sweet dishes. However, not many people are aware of its health benefits and nutritional value. It is a recommended dietary supplement and is easily available in the market. You can find it in any grocery store and it also has a great shelf life and so can be stored for a long time in an airtight container.
Facts about Foxnuts
- They are low in calories, fat, and sodium. They also make you feel full, so you do not crave for more food.
- Their low sodium and high potassium and magnesium content make them very useful for people with high blood pressure.
- The high calcium content is good for bone and teeth health.
- Their sugar content is low making them a go-to food item for diabetics.
- The fox nuts have astringent properties and are useful for kidney ailments.
- People looking for weight loss should try makhana, as they are very low in calories but can fill the stomach.
- It is rich in fiber and so can be used in weight loss and also to cure problems like constipation.
- Fox nuts are rich in antioxidants and therefore useful in fighting aging and chronic inflammation and stress in the body.
- In both men and women, makhana is believed to improve fertility rates. The sperm quality and quantity is believed to improve when makhana is consumed.
- Given its multiple benefits, especially calcium and iron, pregnant women are given makhana. It also helps prevent hypertension and diabetes in the pregnant mother.
Makhana is crunchy, tasty, easy to prepare and the best part being it is economical and super healthy. The most amazing benefit of Makhana is that they contain 0% trans-fat. It is replete with protein, potassium, phosphorus, carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, iron and zinc. You could consume it raw, or in roasted form, add on to various delicacies, both sweet and in gravy form. It has been an essential ingredient in the preparation of a medicine in medieval times.
Nutritional facts about Makhana per 100 grams:
- Calories – 350 grams
- Fats – 0.1 grams
- Carbohydrate – 77 grams
- Protein – 9.7 grams
The first and foremost advantage of consuming fox nuts is that it acts as an anti-aging agent. The enzymes that exist in these them are expected to hinder the aging process. The enzymes that assist in fixing and preserving the impaired proteins are found in substantial amount in fox nuts.
Lotus seeds are known as a great source of protein which is extremely beneficial to the body. Doctors even recommend it to fight protein deficiency in the body.
Low Glycemic Index
Having low GI, it slowly releases the energy levels to your body so that you remain energetic throughout the day. It will rid you of all the stress and keep your mind healthy.
Reduces Risk of Heart Diseases
Fox nuts contain an abundant amount of magnesium. They also help in the flow of other important nutrients. Low magnesium levels can put your body to the risk of heart attacks. Its consumption leads to a dramatic change in the heart condition as the content of folate and magnesium reduce the risk of diseases associated with heart diseases.
Aids in Weight Loss
Food items that have low glycemic index leave you feeling full and satisfied, eventually leading to weight loss.
Fox nuts have an ability to regulate and handle the condition of insomnia as it leaves a naturally sedative consequence.
Works Wonders for Diabetes
The metabolic disorder that comes along with high blood sugar levels is diabetes which is the result of the inappropriate working of the pancreas, which discharges the insulin hormone. Fox nuts contain important proteins and starch which works wonders for a diabetic.
It is extremely helpful in getting rid of diarrhea. Lotus seeds are known to stop diarrhea since it has a caustic quality which if consumed, can even improve the appetite.
How to Eat
- Fox nuts are actually tasteless and so whether it is salt or sweet, they take on an added taste.
- Roast the seeds with a little ghee on a light flame. Sprinkle salt and that will suffice.
- Other spices like cinnamon or oregano can also be added.
- They can also be used in sweet dishes like kheer and other desserts.
- If you feel any discomfort while consuming fox nuts, consult your doctor for there is a chance you might have got allergy.
- Patients who are already on treatment must consult their physician before eating these nuts.
- Uncontrolled intake of fox nuts can cause flatulence, bloating and constipation.
Being low in fat, sugar, and carbohydrate, fox nuts are just the right pick for your snack craving with little to no hullabaloo about weight gain. It is both nutritious and scrumptious. Snack on it whenever you want, and there will be nothing to regret.
- 6 Super Healthy Seeds With Weight Loss & Health Benefits
- Negative Calorie Foods – What Are They, How They Work, Diet Plan & Benefits
- Weight Loss: 10 Low-Calorie Foods That Will Fill You Up!!
- Always Hungry? 12 Foods That Will Fill You Up & Help You Lose Weight
- MIDNIGHT CRAVINGS: How to Tackle Late-Night Cravings