How does Apple Cider Vinegar help in Weight Loss?
Acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar may facilitate weight loss in several ways:
Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
Acetic acid ameliorates the ability of the liver and muscles to extract sugar from the blood.
Decreases Insulin Levels
Acetic acid also reduces the ratio of insulin to glucagon, which might cause burning of fat.
It is believed that an increase in the enzyme Adenosine Monophosphate-Activated Protein Kinase (AMPK) present in ACV boosts fat burning and decreases fat and sugar production in the liver.
Reduces Fat Storage
Acetic acid provides protection from weight gain and increases the expression of genes that reduced belly fat storage and liver fat.
Acetate may suppress points in your brain that control appetite, hence leading to reduced food intake.
Reduces Sugar Cravings
When mixed with honey, ACV can curb your sweet tooth. It is the acetic acid present in vinegar that decreases sugar cravings.
Improves Heart Health
To reduce the risk of heart attacks, make sure to look no further than ACV. Apple cider vinegar lowers triglycerides. The fatty plaque that sticks along the arteries due to triglycerides can lead to blockage of blood flow. Thus, ACV helps in proper functioning of the heart.
Improves Oral Health
ACV kills bad breath. Drinking it every day or using it as a mouth rinse can help freshen up your breath. However, it should be carefully used. Make sure to dilute it with water so that the acid does not wear down your enamel.
Adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to your diet can help you lose weight. It can also reduce your body fat percentage, make you lose belly fat and decrease your blood triglycerides.
Additional Health Benefits
- Lowers Fasting Blood Sugar: People who take apple cider vinegar with a high-protein evening snack have double the decrease in fasting blood sugar than those who didn’t.
- Improves PCOS Symptoms: ACV can also treat PCOS afflicted women.
- Decrease Cholesterol Levels: Apple cider vinegar revs up “good” HDL cholesterol. It also reduces “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Animal studies suggest that vinegar may decrease blood pressure by inhibiting the enzyme held responsible for constricting blood vessels.
- Anti-microbial Properties: Vinegar combats bacteria that can cause food poisoning.
Weight Loss Recipes with ACV
- An easy method is to use it with olive oil and spilling it on salad. It is particularly tasty with leafy greens, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
- It can also be used for pickling vegetables.
- You can simply mix it into the water and drink it.
- The amount of apple cider vinegar used for weight loss is 1–2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) per day, mixed with water.
- It is best to spread this out into 2–3 doses throughout the day, and it may show best results when drunk before meals.
- Taking more than this isn’t recommended because of potentially inimical effects at an increased number of doses. It’s also best to start off with 1 teaspoon (5 ml) to see how your body responds to it.
- Do not take more than 1 tablespoon (15 ml) at a time, because taking too much at one sitting may cause nausea.
- It’s important to mix it with water, as concentrated vinegar can burn the inside of your mouth and esophagus.
- Although taking apple cider vinegar in tablet form may appear to be beneficial, it does come with greater risks. So, one needs to be extra vigilant while consuming vinegar in any form.
Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Diet
Over the last few years, cleansing diets have been growing dramatically in popularity. One example of a detox diet involves using apple cider vinegar. It is believed that apple cider vinegar (ACV) detox helps with weight loss, removal of toxins from the body, and blood sugar regulation.
Those who follow ACV diet say that consuming ACV, either daily or as part of a dedicated ACV detox, brings the following benefits:
- Helping with weight loss.
- Reducing appetite.
- Balancing the body’s pH.
- Regulating blood sugar levels.
- Lowering high cholesterol.
- Improving digestion.
- Boosting the immune system.
- Providing probiotics (good bacteria) to the gut.
- Aiding in the removal of toxins.
- Healing skin conditions.
- Providing enzymes to the body.
It is advisable to undertake an ACV detox to kick-start a healthier lifestyle, complete with a more balanced diet and regular exercise.