Symptoms of Low Testosterone Levels
Do low levels of testosterone create symptoms in middle-aged men? Unquestionably. In fact, the typical symptoms were first identified more than 70 years ago when a research revealed the effectiveness of testosterone therapy for signs of fatigue, irritability, erectile dysfunction, depression, night sweats, low sex drive, and hot flashes in men.
Why Do Testosterone Levels Drop?
There are a large number of factors that can cause low testosterone:
- Obesity, diabetes, and insulin resistance
- Chronic inflammation
- Increased exposure to pesticides, phthalates from plastics, tobacco smoke byproducts, heavy metals, and solvents
- Lack of physical activity
What are Testosterone Boosters?
Testosterone boosters are the supplements that help to significantly boost your testosterone levels. In reality, there are two types of testosterone boosters, specifically natural and synthetic supplements. The synthetic category comprises of anabolic steroids which are known to produce positive results as well as harmful side effects. As a result, a large number of bodybuilders and athletes are now using safer testosterone boosters.
Why Should You Try Testosterone Boosters?
Honestly, they’re an excellent way to naturally boost your testosterone. Unlike steroids, they have no side effects and don’t drop your T-levels after you stop taking them.
But, you need to choose a natural testosterone booster, which will definitely give you your best prospects of making the most gains possible while sustaining your clean state.
Proven benefits of a Natural Testosterone Booster
- They boost & increase natural testosterone levels
- Muscle strength and size gains
- Mood and focus levels become improved
- Improved and increased protein synthesis
- Help in decreasing bad cholesterol levels
- Increased sex drive
- Improved erectile function
- Improved bone density
- Effectively reduces cortisol levels
- Guaranteed mood elevator
- Increased self-confidence
Women are only able to build a small amount of muscle without the use of performance boosters, despite how hard they train or how severe their meal plan is. When women reach their physical zenith and are incapable to move any further than that point, it’s because of their naturally low levels of testosterone.
I am not trying to offend, but men are also at risk to hit that peak if they remain natural — it just takes a little longer than it does with the females. Because men have a much greater testosterone production than women do. And even in this concern genetics play a great role between men. Some men are blessed with a higher testosterone output than others. That’s where testosterone boosters come into action — testosterone boosters are particularly formulated to surpass that limit and continue growing and progressing.
Best Natural Supplements for Low Testosterone Levels
There are many natural supplements that have been formulated to maintain optimal testosterone levels and make sure that you are getting the most out of your hormones. Some products are sold as original ingredients and others are sold as a mix of several powerful test boosters combined into one product.
1. D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)
Dosage: Research shows 3 grams per day first thing in the morning is best.
- DAA is a testosterone booster that has very fast become one of the most popular and one of the most proven on the market.
- D-aspartic acid is an amino acid present in neuroendocrine tissues of humans, and it plays a role in the synthesis of luteinizing hormone (LH) and testosterone.
- LH prompts the release of testosterone from the testes. D-aspartic acid is produced when aspartate converts L-aspartic acid into D-aspartic acid. This conversion takes place in the testes as well as other tissues throughout the human body.
- D-aspartic acid not only causes the release of more testosterone but also helps in the production of more testosterone. This is a double assault on testosterone boosting.
2. Vitamin D3
Dosage: You can take around 3,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily and eat more vitamin-D-rich foods.
- Vitamin D3 is actually more of a hormone than it is a vitamin.
- Vitamin D is consumed by around 10% of our diets and D3 is mostly received from the sun which can be connected to greater testosterone production. The link among the two is a result of the luteinizing hormone playing its role.
3. DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
Dosage: typical usage is 10-50mg per day.
- DHEA is a hormone present in the body and secreted by the adrenal gland.
- DHEA acts on the androgen receptor both directly and indirectly through its metabolites, androstenedione, and androstenediol. Both of these can transform to produce testosterone and estrogens.
4. Tribulus Terrestris
Dosage: typical usage is 300-600mg per day
- Tribulus Terestris has been one of the most famous testosterone promoting supplements on the market for years.
- Tribulus is the extract of a plant found in Asia, Africa, Europe, and Australia.
- Tribulus comprises of compounds called steroidal saponins that may boost test levels. The most well-known of these saponins is protodioscin.
- Protodioscin may be able to boost levels testosterone and some other hormones as well.
- Tribulus for years in an effort to enhance testosterone levels, increase muscle mass, promote fat loss, strength, and stamina.
- Tribulus boosts testosterone levels through the stimulation of the pituitary gland. This stimulation is believed to favor production of luteinizing hormone (LH), which may increase liberated testosterone levels.
5. Epimedium (Horny Goat Weed)
Dosage: The purity and potency range from brand to brand so you should follow label instructions.
- Horny goat weed comprises an active ingredient called icariin.
- Icariin is considered to be the compound responsible for horny goat weed’s testosterone increasing properties.
6. Eurycoma longifolia (Longjack)
Dosage: 200-600mg per day has been shown to be efficient.
- Eurycoma longifolia (or longjack for short) is yet another testosterone boosting supplement that may be of benefit to the natural lifter.
- A large amount of the testosterone that circulates within the body is bound by a protein called SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) which is considered ineffective and has no effect on muscle growth.
- It is believed that longjack’s active ingredients capture and bind SHBG and hence prevent SHBG from catching circulating free testosterone.
- This rise in free testosterone will provide for an increase in all the muscle building benefits that come with greater levels.
7. ZMA (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate)
Dosage: one serving 30 minutes before bed.
- It has 3 ingredients: Zinc (as l-monmethionine and aspartate), Magnesium (as aspartate), and Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCL)
- Zinc is a micromineral included in the action of various hormones including testosterone, insulin, growth hormone, and estrogen. ZMA contains 30 mg. of zinc. Deficiency of zinc can have a notable impact on testosterone levels.
- Magnesium is involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body including nucleic acid synthesis, glycolysis, creatine phosphate formation, cyclic AMP formation, amino acid activation, the Kreb’s cycle, cardiac and smooth muscle contractibility, and most importantly for strength athletes, protein synthesis. Magnesium deficiency may reduce testosterone levels and muscle growth on many different levels. ZMA contains 450 mg. of magnesium.
- The last ingredient of this formulation is vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 can boost the testosterone to cortisol ratio which can lead to definite muscle building effects. ZMA contains 10.5 mg. Vitamin B6.
- These three ingredients in ZMA have been shown to enhance free testosterone levels by up to 30%.
The Pros and Cons of Testosterone Booster Supplements
Like any other supplement, even the top testosterone boosting supplements have both their advantages and disadvantages. This is why before buying these supplements, it is reasonable to go through these pros and cons. No good company refuses the cons of testosterone supplements but gives you a product that handles the negatives of their supplement.
Testosterone boosters have a number of benefits which is the main motive why so many men use them.
- Natural Formulations – Testosterone supplements have all natural ingredients whereas steroids are synthetic and have a large number of side-effects for that reason.
- Muscle Mass Development – Testosterone is a crucial supplement for men who are involved in bodybuilding. It enhances healing and also helps in faster development of muscle mass which is necessary for both young and old men. Particularly for men who are past middle age and don’t have the energy to build enough muscle mass so fast, testosterone supplements can be of great help.
- Increased Energy Levels and Libido – Men who are undergoing dipping libido and who are usually older age tend to get testosterone boosters.
Although the advantages of testosterone supplements are so great that most people tend to neglect the disadvantages, it is important to understand them so that they can be handled properly.
- No Single Brand to Rule Everyone – You won’t find a single kind of brand which works on all. You have to make the effort to find out the one that works best for you. Consider the ingredients properly and you should always know the reason why you want testosterone boosters. This should be balanced with the ingredients before opting any brand.
- Aggression – When hormonal supplements are eaten, they lead to a hormonal imbalance in the body. It takes a while to get adapted to the changing levels of hormones in the body. With testosterone supplements, aggression is usually a common symptom seen in men. Also, mood changes are very common as well. However, once the body gets adapted to the supplement, these effects become easier to handle.
The side effects from testosterone supplements might be there but they are not life-changing. On the other hand, the advantages are. Never exceed the recommended intake of consuming the supplements and follow the directions to avoid any complications.
Read Next: Top Testosterone Boosting Foods