A young Hollywood celeb once famously said, “That awkward moment, when you’re walking through the metal detector and your abs of steel set it off.”
A long-lost dream, isn’t it? Closer home, celebs like Ranveer Singh, Hrithik Roshan, and Salman Khan are famous for their six-pack abs. From the recent lot, Tiger Shroff, Varun Dhawan, and Siddharth Malhotra set the screen scorching with their rock-solid pecs.
If you too desire great abs, then it’s time to stop imagining and start exercising and following good eating habits. Let’s look at how we can boast great abs while following a reasonable and realistic diet. These pointers will help you get fit within six weeks.
What is the Origin of the Abs Diet?
A protruding stomach is not just a deformity but also a representation of future health problems. Endeavoring at a flat belly and perfect fitness, David Zinczenko, editor in chief of Men’s Health magazine has written a book called “The Abs Diet” discussing the needs of men. He declares that one can lose around 12 pounds of belly fat in 2 weeks and exhibit six packs in six weeks flat.
Rather than calorie counting, this diet highlights protein intake with every meal and snacks, in order to encourage lean muscle growth which in turn stimulates fat burning. For numerous years, athletes, fitness models, and bodybuilders have been following alike dietary patterns i.e. eating 5-6 times a day, eating lean proteins and unrefined carbs and working out to build muscles.
How does the Abs Diet work?
The Abs diet comprises of a 7-day meal plan which lasts for 6 weeks. Calorie counting is omitted.
- The dieters are asked to eat 6 times a day.
- It is advised to replace larger meals with snacks so that they can have a snack every 2 hours before lunch and 2 hours before and after dinner.
- The philosophy behind eating 6 times a day is that it will keep the energy levels high and instill a feeling of satiety.
- You get a ‘cheat meal’ once a week where you can eat anything you want. However, it is desirable to avoid fatty meals, processed/refined carbs, and high-sugar foods.
Since the Abs diet discourages calorie counting, it replenishes the body with all essential nutrients like protein, calcium, fiber and healthy fats in the right content.
|Fats||27 % calories|
|Protein||10%-35 % calories|
|Vitamin B-12||5 mcg|
|Vitamin D||20 mcg|
The Significance of Regular Exercise
Regular exercise is no less valuable than nutrition. Therefore, in order to get maximum benefits, the diet should be supplemented with 3 strength training workouts and 2 abs workouts per week.
- Cardiovascular exercises are a good choice.
- Lighter activities like walking between strength training days and warm up activities like jogging, pedaling a stationary bike, rope jumping etc, are also prescribed before intense workouts. This assures that the muscles can get time to heal and repair themselves.
- One day a week, exercise can be done away with.
The Abs Diet Power Foods
The Abs diet emphasizes the consumption of nutrient-packed foods known as power foods which give all the vitamins, minerals and fiber to trigger lean muscle building and facilitate the body to burn fat. Refined carbs, saturated and trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup are not allowed.
The 7-day meal plan is based on 12 ‘power foods’ along with recipes which fulfill the nutrient demands of the body.
THE 12 POWER FOODS
- Almonds and Other Nuts are eaten with skins intact.
- Beans and Other Legumes
- Spinach and Other Green Vegetables
- Dairy: Fat-free or low-fat milk, cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt
- Instant Oatmeal: Unsweetened, unflavoured
- Turkey and other lean meats, chicken, fish, lean steak
- Peanut Butter – All-natural, sugar-free.
- Olive Oil
- Whole-Grain Bread and Cereals
- Extra-Protein (Whey) Powder
- Raspberries and Other Berries
These versatile nuts are high in protein, fiber, and vitamin E, a potent antioxidant. They contain magnesium, a mineral which helps the body in generating energy, building and maintaining muscle tissue and controlling blood sugar. The best thing about almonds is their strength to block calories as their cell walls help in fat absorption.
These versatile beans are an outstanding source of protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Dry roasted soybeans can be used as snacks and a spoonful of tofu can be added to your morning smoothie. Liquid soy is also a healthy option for meals.
These fruits are rich in antioxidants and fiber. Antioxidants not only provide strength against chronic diseases like cancer but also help in promoting blood flow thus aiding efficient contraction of muscles. Fiber, on the other hand, traps food particles and sends them out of your system before they are completely digested. Experts advise at least half a cup of berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries etc.) which is equivalent to about 30 calories.
Apples play a crucial role in a weight loss programme. A large apple contains 5 grams of fiber and is nearly 85 percent water, thus providing a feeling of satiety. Apples contain a compound called quercetin, which is said to help fight certain cancers, decrease cholesterol damage and support healthy lungs.
5. Leafy Green Vegetables
Most of the leafy greens vegetables are a great source of calcium, which is required for muscle contraction, thus enhancing your workout. The carotenoids present in these vegetables prevent cancer and the low-calorie count definitely helps in fat burning.
Three servings of leafy greens such as broccoli, spinach, and arugula are recommended in a day. These can be efficiently used in soups, salads, pasta, stir-fries, and sandwiches.
The calcium in yogurt promotes more weight loss around the middle section of your body. The probiotic bacteria in yogurt keeps your digestive system healthy, thereby decreasing the incidence of gas, bloating and constipation, thus contributing to a flat abdomen. One to three cups of low fat or unsweetened yogurt in a day is advisable.
7. Vegetable Soup
Studies have shown that eating vegetables in the form of broth-based, low-calorie and low-sodium soups every day produces excellent results in terms of weight loss than eating the same amount of calories in snack food. Therefore, at least one cup of low-fat cream-based vegetable soup is recommended daily.
Seafood, particularly fatty fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids and abs-friendly proteins. The healthy fat boosted fat burning by making the metabolic process more efficient. In addition to this, the seafood slows down digestion and prevents cravings.
This nutty-flavored crunchy yet chewy whole grain contains about 5 grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein per half cup. It can be cooked like any other grain and at least a half cup serving per day would be sufficient.
Eggs are excellent sources of fat and protein. Hence they contribute to the feeling of satiety when taken for breakfast. Eggs form an essential part of the diet due to the balance in essential amino acids which are used by the body in the building muscle fibers to brain chemicals. An egg a day is advised for those who do not have high blood cholesterol as one egg contains around 213 milligrams of cholesterol.
Benefits of Abs Diet
- Incorporating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and limiting the consumption of saturated and trans-fat, abs diet is believed a heart-healthy diet. Thus, it keeps a regulation on cholesterol, blood pressure and heart disease.
- Some of the power foods included in the abs diet provide protection against diabetes. Excess weight poses a danger of type 2 diabetes. Since the abs diet aids in losing weight, promotes physical activity and places stress on right eating, it indirectly contributes towards the prevention of this disease.
- No serious dangers or side effects are linked with this diet. But those having health problems should discuss with their physician to assure whether the diet is suitable for them.
Follow these secrets and get ideal Abs in no time. Stay fit, Stay healthy!