She looks sizzling in shorts. And you keep wondering when will you get rid of your thunder thighs so you can sport a bikini. You have tried every diet under the sun, but the stubborn fat on your thigh doesn’t seem to move. What specifically is the reason behind thunder thighs, a problem that most young women battle? Well, it may be a result of hormonal imbalance, pregnancy, improper diet, genes, lack of activity, or a combination of all.
If you have no idea about how to go about it, we are here to support it. Here, we have listed the exercises that will help you burn thigh fat and build lean muscle.
Why Fat Accumulates In The Thighs?
Essentially, fat gets deposited in the thighs due to the female hormones. If you have an abnormal menstrual cycle or experience unpleasant bleeding, it is probably because either estrogen or progesterone is being under-produced or overproduced. These hormones are produced in the ovaries, and fat cells accumulate when there is an imbalance in the hormone levels.
The Slim Thigh Test
How do you know whether you have excess flab in your thighs or if it is all in your head? Easy! Do a slim thigh test at home.
Pinch your thighs. If you can catch hold of a good amount of tissue, it means that your thigh muscles are covered with too much fat tissue. You can also use a fat measuring caliper to know how much fat has accumulated in your thighs. If your body fat is more than 25% as compared to other components, it’s time you lose those extra pounds.
Best Exercises To Lose Weight From Thighs
1. Leg Raises
This a good thigh exercise. It will help you shed fat from the lower body.
- Lie down on the floor facing the ceiling.
- Keep your palms on the side facing the floor and relax.
- Lift both the legs at about a 30-degree angle from the ground.
- Hold for about five seconds. Slowly bring the legs down to the floor.
- Repeat this 10 times.
2. Leg Stretch
This stretching exercise will ensure proper blood circulation. You can feel it as soon as you do at least three sets.
- Sit upright with your legs joined and stretched.
- Slowly move the legs apart as far as you can.
- Now, breathe in as you bend right to touch the toes of the right foot with both your hands.
- Try to touch the knees with your head. Relax and hold for 5 seconds.
- Slowly lift your head up and bring your hands to each side of your pelvis. Breathe out while doing so.
- Do this for the left side.
- Repeat this 10 times.
3. Air Cycling
An effective way to lose fat from the thighs. Air cycling also takes care of your pelvis and knee joints.
- Lie on your back and face the ceiling.
- Lift your legs up to 90 degrees.
- Start moving your legs as if you are cycling in the forward direction.
- Do this for 1 minute and then slowly put down your legs and relax.
- Move your legs up to 90 degrees and start air cycling in the backward direction for 1 minute.
- Repeat the set 5 times.
Lunges are the perfect workout for your inner thighs. They also take care of the gluteal muscles and help shed a few extra pounds from your buttocks as well.
- Stand straight with your feet about 3 centimeters apart.
- Hold light weights or you can do with your bodyweight.
- Step forward with your right leg and bend your left leg to come to a “proposing” position.
- Do this with the left leg.
- Repeat the set 10 times.
5. Table Top Cross Over
This exercise will help you lose fat from your outer and inner thighs.
- Lie down on your back and face the ceiling.
- Lift your body up by supporting your body weight with your limbs, creating a “table” shape.
- Lift your right leg up. Simultaneously, raise your left hand and touch the toes on your right foot.
- Repeat the same for the left leg.
- Repeat this for 20 times.
6. Scissor Kick
This will work your thighs and buttock muscles and tone them as well.
- Lie straight on the mat, hold up your head by placing the palms of your hand behind your head.
- Lift your leg slowly and keep both the legs straight.
- Now, vertically move them apart, bring them together, and again move them apart.
- Repeat 15 times with each leg.
Do this only when you have lost a good amount of fat from your thighs. This exercise helps to build muscles. Without losing the fat, if you build muscle, you may actually end up making your thighs look bigger.
- Stand with your shoulders relaxed and your legs apart. Point your toes outward.
- Keep your upper body straight, inhale and slowly lower your buttocks till you come to a sitting position.
- Hold for about 5-10 seconds.
- Repeat this 10 times.
Running slims down your thighs and reshape your legs. It is an effective exercise for people with big thigh muscles as it decreases the size of the muscles by reducing excess fat. Endurance running with little or no incline can trim down your thighs. If it appears difficult, you can also use an elliptical trainer with little or no resistance. Ensure that you maintain the correct posture on the elliptical trainer to lessen the strain on your quadriceps (front of thighs), thus preventing your thigh size from going up. Running on an incline should be considered as it can burn more calories than running on a flat surface.
9. Aerobic Exercises
Aerobic exercises help in burning fat on your inner thighs and the rest of the body as well. Certain exercises like stair climbing, brisk walking, running, and dancing increase the heart rate and work out your thigh muscles. Hence, make it a point to indulge in aerobic exercises for at least 45 minutes a day for five days a week.
Losing thigh fat can be challenging. But with proper exercise, you can make your mission successful so you can confidently wear any outfit. But hey, don’t push it for tomorrow. Start today, get your trainers out and do the exercises listed here at home. Most importantly, I suggest you get a preliminary body checkup done and talk to your physician to know the reason for excess thigh fat.