Why Should We Work Out In Mornings?
- It keeps our bodies healthy.
- It helps to discharge toxins from the body that have built up and assembled overnight.
- It restores and revives our body, gearing it up for the best performance.
- Studies show that people who exercise in the morning burn up a higher percentage of fat.
- Exercising in the morning increases our core temperature for the rest of the day. That means that you not only burn fat during your workout but also throughout the day.
10 Effective Morning Exercises for Weight Loss
1. Go for a Run or Walk
Though you can run on the treadmill, try going outside as the fresh air, free from pollution provides good things for your heart, lungs, and mind. It helps you to connect with nature.
This is another cardio exercise to burn calories. Biking helps not only to burn calories but also gives effective endurance training to those leg muscles. While running affects mainly your calf muscles and shins, biking works well for the thighs. You can vary your speed between normal and all-out. It helps in building endurance. It is best to go for cycling in the morning to avoid traffic.
3. Circuit Training
It is basically a form of body conditioning that targets strength building and muscle endurance through high-intensity aerobics. The idea is to do all the exercises that complete one circuit and then repeat the circuit again, taking time only to sip water between the circuits. There are many circuit examples available in the form of DVDs and YouTube videos.
Circuit training burns 30 percent extra calories than normal workouts. Mornings are the best time to do circuits as you are full of energy to put all of it into the exercise. This will help to burn those calories away.
Training for kickboxing is beneficial enough to make you stronger. It also burns fat and gives you real good moves to use in self-defense. There are many fun kickboxing workouts available online. It is best to join a kickboxing class for initial training. This is one of the best morning exercises for weight loss.
It is a known fact that the best and also the most appropriate time to do yoga asanas is in the morning, preferably before or at the time of sunrise. It should always be done on an empty stomach. Practicing yoga not only tones the body externally but also helps in the healing and strengthening of the internal organs.
6. Surya Namaskar
A single Surya Namaskar burns 13.91 calories approx. If you practice Surya Namaskar for 30 minutes in the morning and complete about 15 rounds, you burn nearly about 278-280 calories. This is more than what one normally might burn during a 1-hour cardio session. As there are many versions of Surya Namaskar to suit one’s fitness level, choose one for yourself. Surya Namaskar is suggested to be performed at the time of sunrise. It is not only about burning calories but also about the overall well-being of a person. Try to complete as many Surya Namaskar as possible. Do not overburden yourself at one go. Start with 6 or 8 SN, and keep increasing the number as you get comfortable.
7. Stretching Exercises
Stretching exercises are a must in your daily routine. Even on your rest-days, do try a few nice stretching exercises. Studies suggest that overnight proteins get collected in the joints. It is important to stretch your muscles and work your joints to prevent diseases like arthritis. Further, these stretching exercises tone your muscles. It is important to add toning to your workout regime. After burning the calories, it comes to tone it all up. Yogasanas like Downward-Dog, Cobra, Virasana variations and Cat-stretch combine toning and stretching.
It has been a long time since Yoga guru Baba Ramdev popularized Pranayama among the masses, and it is still a craze. Pranayama has the power to keep you fit and young. This too must be practiced on an empty stomach.
9. Kapalbhati Pranayama
It is one cure for everything and one of the simplest techniques to deal with all types of diseases. It helps to lose fat from the stomach area (the most stubborn fat too). If you are a beginner, do this exercise for 3 minutes and then keep progressing up to 10 minutes. That is the maximum limit for Kapalbhati. The ideal way is to do 700 counts of Kapalbhati every day.
10. Nadi Pranayama or Anulom-Vilom
Nadi Pranayama or Anulom-Vilom is another common Pranayama which can be done by anyone from a little child to your 80-year old grandma. The most important thing about Anulom-Vilom is that it helps in regulating breathing. The breathing technique is important during all kinds of exercises, especially while doing cardio and yoga. This can affect your weight loss and toning. Breathing exercises form an important part of Anulom-Vilom.
- It is good to do your morning cardio workout on an empty stomach. Make sure you stay hydrated all the time! You can use water, infused water, coconut water, whichever you find healthy.
- If you are doing weight training after your cardio sessions, make sure you grab some protein beforehand like a banana or some almonds.
- Try doing Abhyanga (self-massage with oil) before your morning workout. It is an Ayurvedic ritual that helps in the removal of toxins and keeps your body moisturized throughout the workout.
- Since your beauty is as important as your fitness, make sure to apply sunscreen lotion if you are heading outside for a run or cycling.
Set your alarms and get into your fittest best!